Wednesday, July 25, 2018

I did it to myself again

Why do I have to keep reading the manuals??  I figured out that the Cummins Diesel Generator is supposed to be programmable.  The definition of “Programmable” means to me that I will soon be in trouble.  Well I figured out that Cummins Onan Generator Energy 30 is a processor.  To most (probably 98% of the MotorHome owners) it is just used as a display that allows you to manually turn on/off the generator by pushing a button.

  Well, you can also (at least you are suppose to be able to):
-Set the time of day
-Set the quiet time (hours where campground will not allow a generator to run
-Set the run time

Once programmed and in Automatic mode the processor will monitor the float level of the coach batteries and automatically start and stop the generator without you being in the coach. It will take into account the programmed quiet hours and work before/after these hours to maintain the battery charge level.  This way if you loose power or our boondocking the processor will maintain the coach batteries  charge so that the refrigerator has constant power.  It will also maintain the Air Conditioned temperature if you have animals and loose power.

Today we spent 5 hours with a Cummins Tech (in Nova Scotia) at the Cummins repair shop and with Cummins Level 3 Engineering support on the phone before we determined the Processor in my coach is defective.  

I wonder just how many other processors in existing coaches are also defective, but have not been pushed to there limits.  

Cummins is Air Shipping another processor which means another trip to the Cummins Service shop in the next couple of weeks for installation


Like I said, “I did it to myself again”.  Either I am going to get frustrated with all the repairs I am doing and someone is going to buy a great coach or I am going to have (I Hope) a somewhat smooth running coach in another 12 months.

2 comments:

  1. Bill, Time to look up the RV Lemon Law, might be time to move on and get a different brand !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still like the one we have. I have talked to a few Prevost owners $1.5M and they have similar problems. They are not like cars that are massed produced. Hopefully will get ahead of this fix-it curve soon.

      Delete