Monday, July 16, 2018

7/12/18. Another one of those days.  Thank goodness I am retired

The day started off well.  We were out of the campground at Fundy National Park with an ETA of 1:35 PM (never made it) at our new campground in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. 

Well we are going to get another 5 to 6 nights of free camping.  We are broken down along side of the road along the major two lane (one way each direction) east/west highway 1 on Prince Edward Island

We called Coachnet who sent out a roadside repairman who crawled underneath (he is a better man than I) this 33,000 Lb unit with trucks whisking by and roughly 12” of clearance and announced the right side front airbag blew a big hole in it.  I suspected something like this as I could hear air hissing and I watched my right side air gauge drop from 120 - 150 Psi to 100 PSI very quickly.  

Well I knew from reading the manuals that when you loose Air the rear brakes automatically lock up so I got off the road very quickly.  Well now my left wheels are on the road just safely to the right of the white line and my  right wheels are on clay with a 4” drop in the road surface. 

We also called Freightliner customer service.  They were very helpful and concerned about us.  Of course being a new coach the freightliner distribution center in Canada has none of these air bags in stock (not enough turns on these air bags yet) so it will have to ship from the air bag manufacture in the states and go through customs.  Ah ha now my Square D training comes into play.  I know that it will never arrive, get through customs in time for the week-end being that it is late Thursday.  

So hear we sit waiting for a huge tow truck.  Only one available is on the other side of the island.  It will be 2 to 3 hours minimum.

Like I said I am glad I am retired and have a bunch of time on my hands so I can laugh at this.  Another remembering tale for our trip.


If you need me I will be based out of the Freightliner Dealer in Crap-aud Prince Edward Island.  What a name.  Seems to fit :-)

On the bright side we broke down with a beautiful view of a potato field with the North Umberland Strait - Gulf of St Lawrence in the background.  Sandy is always on me to stop at the overlooks so I pointed out to her that I did this time!!  :-)

Pictures attached for your enjoyment.

PS. Since we are sitting here waiting for the tow I let Sandy pre-read the above before posting so here are her grammatical corrections :-0



Hear should be here
North Umberland is Northumberland
We will be stationed out of Summerside, not crap - ola.  She really means Crap-aud. 


By the way we were planning on camping in Summerside anyways in 9 days so we will just readjust things while enjoying the free camping.  

No comments:

Post a Comment