Sunday, June 24, 2018

Bar Harbor isn’t the same

Bar Harbor isn’t the same

Sandy and I brought our kids to Bar Harbor in 2003.  After touring Bar Harbor yesterday I can honestly say that Bar Harbor has been commercialized “Big Time”!!  What was once a small town with quaint shops and restaurants around the square has been replaced with tons of T-shirt shops, ice cream stands, bars, and many restaurants.  Every street all the way to the harbor is now covered with shops.  

My recommendation is that you skip Bar Harbor and stay on the Schoodic Peninsula.  ESPECIALLY IF CAMPING.  The National Park Campground is a 10 out of 10 in my book.  It’s a best kept secret.  It an extension of the famous Acadia National Park, yet it does not have the traffic, noise, people etc... .  You can take a ferry to Bar Harbor for $25/person or make the drive which is 1 hour.  Either way you will be happy you stay on the Schoodic Peninsula.


I like this place so much it is now on Sandy and my list to come back in the future as a National Park Volunteer.  If/when we do, you are welcome to come visit and stay with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment