Thursday, August 31, 2023

8/27/2023 Colorado High Desert? Colorado National Monument, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison

For the last 4 days we have been in Grand Junction Colorado.  We have toured both the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Colorado National Monument.  As you can see from the pictures below both are very scenic. For the most part both are a driving tour with various overlooks that are a couple 100 yards off the turn outs. 

Who knew Colorado has a high desert which gets little snow in the winter. In the summer its temperatures get into the 100s. This week it has been in the 90’s.  To me it is HOT, HOT, HOT.  I have been in plenty places in the 90’s and 100’s but the sun in Grand Junction at 5000+ feet above sea level is a cooker!!  I had three Air Conditioner running in the COW and the best the inside temperature was 81 degrees. MISERABLE!! I must have slept through Geography class when the teacher discussed “High Desert” as up until the last couple years I had never heard of such a thing as High Desert. Now in our travels I have experienced high deserts in Oregon, Washington, and now Colorado. Who knew that deserts exist so far North in the United States.  I would never have guessed.














No comments:

Post a Comment