Saturday, August 4, 2018

8/3/2018 Another lesson learned



We pulled out of Halifax at 1:00 PM after working with the local Cummins shop to replace the Cummins Onan Energy Command EC30 processor.  We drove 1 hour North to a campground that looked good from the outside and was rated well in the Allstays Campground App.

Lesson 1:  When the site is made up of some gravel, but mostly dirt BEWARE.  Especially if the site is not level.  I could not get the COW to level.  First the Automatic levelers refused to operate.  Then, when I put the leveling jacks in manual mode and lowered the jacks they just sunk into the dirt without lifting the coach.

So, I pulled up the jacks and put  12”X 12” x 2” boards down under the jacks (that I had made previously at home just for this type of situation) the coach lifted the rear wheels off the ground which is a No-No because the parking brake is on the rear wheels.  The coach could roll.  Finally, since we were only staying at this campground one night, we decided to leave the coach unlevel and only extend one out of the three slides.

Lesson 2:  When the Power protector I bought refused to provide power to the coach, there is a big problem.  I had bought a Power protector unit that checks incoming service wiring, low voltage, high voltage, phasing, and a bunch of other things.  If things are not correct it will not allow power to the coach.  Well, once I applied a load to the Power supplied by the campground, Line 1 dropped to 105 volt, and Line 2 dropped to 106 volt.  I in turned asked that both the Campground owner and Maintenance person meet me at my camp site.  Initially they thought they were going to blow smoke up my skirt (I mean trousers),  until I convinced them that not only did I know more about electricity than they did, I also carry the equipment with me to prove it.  They backed down quickly, admitted they knew they had a problem, and refunded me some of my money for the night.  I disconnected my power cable from the campground and intermittently ran my Generator through the night.  

Poor power to a coach can wipe-out your appliances and electronics.  This can be an expensive mistake.

The Power protector I bought cost $300 but has already saved me twice from miswired (believe it or not at the Cummins dealer) and low voltage at this campground

Lesson 3:  Since we were just staying overnight I decided not to disconnect the TOAD (Chevy Equinox).  Well the mistake I made was not putting it in PARK and turning off the ignition key.  The ignition key must be in the accessory position while towing because the TOAD draws power from the battery for the Electric Steering to work properly while being towed.  I have installed a trickle charger under the hood that is powered from the coach while traveling so the battery does not loose charge.  Well when I shutdown the coach and did not turn off the TOAD ignition key, it completely discharged the TOAD battery.  Luckily I had made friends with the guy in the next campsite who had jumper cables and a big Dodge truck.  He was able to help jump start the TOAD so I could charge the battery with the alternator.  


Lesson learned.  Turn off the ignition key while staying overnight and not disconnecting the TOAD.  Also, I will be picking up my jumper cables on the next trip home.

8/5/2018. Update. After troubleshooting the trickle charger this morning I discovered that I blew the 20 Amp fuse when I tried to use it to jump start the Equinox.  On the next stop at home I will be adding spare fuses to my tool box.

No comments:

Post a Comment