Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Electric Bike Frustration. If only I had an extra 1/2”



The other day I was cleaning the front windshield of the COW when I noticed my neighbor lift two folded electric bikes into the back of his SUV.  My eyes about popped out of my head.  I had never thought about putting bikes into the back of the toad.  NO RACK REQUIRED!!


  • Side note:  Sandy and I love to bike.  We actually carry an unassembled tandem bike in the basement of the COW, but it takes to much assembly just to pull it out for a couple of days, plus it is to bulky to transport on the back of the toad to a remote trail.  With all the miles we travel it would be destroyed with all the road grit and grime.  


I jumped out of the COW and immediately approached my neighbor, introduced myself and inquired about his EBikes.  They were made by YAMEE.  He purchased two back in Dec 2020 and loves them.  Both he and his wife ride.  I was impressed with the quality, and how easily they folded.  I snapped a picture of the bikes and began researching.  Still impressed after my research.  I knocked on my neighbors door and asked if I could look at them again.  They offered to let me ride one of their bikes.  Wow these EBikes are cool.  Now I am hooked.  Sign me up and get them delivered.  After reviewing the specs one last time, and measuring my Toad it looked like the hatch opening on my toad may be a 1/2” to short.


A couple days later I knocked on my neighbors door again and asked if we could try to put one of their EBikes into the back of my car.  (Sandy thought I was nuts :-) ..). Just to see if a twist or lean may allow the bike to fit into the toad.  Sure enough, it was impossible to get two of the folded bikes (one for Sandy, one for me) into the back of my toad.  DARN 


Thank Goodness that our new friends (Gerard and Mary) were very helpful and accommodating.

No comments:

Post a Comment